Hellraiser 4: Beyond the Joke - In Defence of Alan Smithee

 



Introduction: My Hellraiser Obsession

Sometimes a film, or even a whole series of them, hinges on when and how you first saw them. For anyone who grew up in the '80s and '90s, horror movies were often a rite of passage or, let's be real, an act of rebellion. Personally, Hellraiser 2: Hellbound left an indelible mark on my psyche—so much so that it deserves its own “Films that Shook Me Up” article one day. But as I was planning that piece, I couldn't stop thinking about the sequels that followed. Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth warrants its own deep dive for reasons I'll get to another time. But today? We're going to take a deep dive into the deep-ish cut, Hellraiser Bloodline—part four of the series, and perhaps the most controversial installment.




The Infamous Alan Smithee

Addressing the elephant in the room: Hellraiser Bloodline is often casually dubbed "Hellraiser in Space," and it's directed by none other than Alan Smithee. For the uninitiated, "Alan Smithee" is a pseudonym directors use when they want to disassociate themselves from a project. So, right off the bat, this film was consigned to the junk pile by many critics and fans alike. However, I came to Hellraiser 4 young and eager to absorb every morsel of Cenobite lore, straight off the backs of parts 2 and 3, both amazing to me at the time for their own reasons, no matter how questionably it was served. And to be fair, Bloodline does present some good stuff.

The Controversy and Criticism

Critics love to gloss over Bloodline as a joke. The "Alan Smithee" credit certainly doesn't help. But here's the thing: I watched this film with friends during countless movie nights, and it always went down a treat. Hellraiser 3, too, was a hit among my circle. Strangely enough, the critically acclaimed parts 1 and 2 were often the duds of film night. Too serious, too nasty, or just plain boring for my teenage friends perhaps. I myself loved loved part 1 and especially part 2, but my friends were often nonplussed or turned off. Perhaps we are the same now, and the mainstream audience wants some cheese with their horror, hence the popularity of The Conjuring and Saw series, not that I'm comparing them in terms of content at all. I'm talking Hollywood sheen, and maybe something thats fantastical enough to not be 'real'?






The Bold Moves: Cenobite Evolution and Historical Journey

One of the things I loved about parts 3 and 4 was the inventive Cenobite design. Part 4 has two real classics: the twins and Angelique, and I always thought there was room for more. The move through history was bold and, in my opinion, not just a lame attempt to jump on the space-horror bandwagon. As a young Hellraiser fan, I was excited to get all of that lore. Now, in hindsight, I can see why older fans at the time might have been clamoring for a "less is more" approach.

Space Horror: A Love It or Hate It Genre

Let’s not forget that Hellraiser Bloodline falls into the same category as Jason X—films often stereotyped as "so bad they're good." The space sequence in Bloodline is audacious, to say the least. It's almost as if the film is winking at you, saying, "Yeah, we're in space now. Deal with it." And honestly? I love it for that. And stange though it sounds, even to me now, at the time I simply enjoyed the continuation of the plot for what it was. Parts 3 and 4 joined the ranks of the later Nightmare on Elm Street entries, employing more bombastic elements and leaning into the absurdity, so to my inexperienced eyes, Bloodline didn't seem a million miles away from what people were enjoying at the time.


Jason X - In space, no-one can see you roll your eyes


Reconsidering Hellraiser Bloodline

So, why should we reconsider Hellraiser Bloodline? For starters, it’s more than just a punchline. The film’s exploration of Cenobite evolution and its audacious narrative structure are worth a second look. And then there's the Alan Smithee controversy, which adds a layer of intrigue to the whole affair. Is Bloodline a misunderstood gem or just a guilty pleasure? Maybe it's a bit of both.

And let’s just sprinkle in a little behind-the-scenes trivia - and there is quite a bit available for this film. Did you know that the film was originally much longer and more complex before being chopped down by the studio? Or that the unsettling twins Cenobites were inspired by the director’s fascination with duality and transformation? These little nuggets add depth to our appreciation and understanding of the film.

So, there you have it. A deep cut into Hellraiser Bloodline, a film that’s more than just “Hellraiser in Space.” I encourage you to rewatch it with fresh eyes and an open mind. And I’d love to hear your thoughts. Did you find the space sequences laughable or loveable? What did you think of the evolution of the Cenobites? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Comments