Poetry: A Veil of Your Own Design.

 Since beginning my MA in Creative and Critical Writing, I've noticed my writing come on so much. This is a double edged sword. It's amazing to see the quality improve, but puts a very cold light on previous efforts. I've decided to keep most of my old work public, if only to show others what it's possible to achieve. 

Here's a recent poem that I'm quite proud of. I hope you enjoy it. 


A Veil of Your Own Design by James Brown. 

You are a veil of your own design,

Woven with strands of experience, a delicate pattern that tears in the breeze,

Ivory slowly washed to grey, an apple decaying in a forgotten orchard,

Mask of hope, altered over time by necessity, tragedy and triumph,

Seldom removed in public, worn at home by the cursed.

You are a veil of your own design,

Pulled tightly down, impenetrable, save for your dearest loves and enemies,

Lifted up to kiss, stolen by force, never returned whole,

Treasured possession of the dispossessed, hiding traps and treasures rarely unearthed,

Life’s cartography in retrospect, bitterly remembered.

You are a veil of your own design,

Deconstructed by those who get a chance, picked and unthreaded

Mothers silk, fathers pattern, politicians needle,

Mesh wound tight, protecting, suffocating, crucible of flesh,

Ripped open to breathe, letting in darkness, repaired over years with wire.

You are a veil of your own design.

Angrily, triumphantly ripped away on completion, futility realised for the self,

Traditional hereditary hand me down,

Altered for universal fit, comforting, warm, full of love,

Strands unwoven, washed to ivory, a mask of hope to be altered over time.

You are a veil of your own design.



Support Independent Content.

I don't write for money, and I never accept freebies etc. All products and experiences are paid for by me. If you enjoy my blog posts, and you can afford it, please consider buying me a coffee, or exploring the ads (Sorry there are so many. When I graduate, I will disable them). Currently, I am a student and care worker, so pay ranges from nothing to not a lot! A million thanks! 

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Horrorhiker

Comments

Popular Posts