Horrorhiker: Award Winning Writer.




Studying toward an MA in Creative and Critical Writing has done wonders for my work. Imposter syndrome has always been something that I have struggled with, and though every writer I know suffers with it, I have a feeling that being a mature student amplifies that.

Anyway, I entered a writing competition through my university. It is called the Student New Angle Prize. As the long list, and then short list was announced, I was increasingly blown away at having got through. I know some of the other writers personally, and they are intimidatingly good!

Eventually the email came through letting me know that I had won. It's an understatement to say that it made me turn a corner in terms of confidence. I went from seeing writing as something I enjoy, to a possible career almost overnight. As writers we often see and hear platitudes from those around us, or from feel good articles on Linkedin, however that sense of exposure that you get from writing is ever present. 

Winning, in a way, made the exposure more profound. The piece I wrote was very personal, and was influenced by my dear departed Grandparents. I was writing from the heart, with some technical advice still milling around my head, from recent lectures. I was pleased with the result at a personal level, and sent it off, hoping to be long listed so that I could put that on my writers CV. Winning was beyond amazing. 

Anyway, here is the press release announcing my win, and HERE is a link to my 500 word winning entry. 

The moral of the story is, if you feel unsure, unconfident, or underdeveloped...do it anyway! 


A tribute to grandparents and a love of East Anglia have combined to win a University of Suffolk student a prestigious writing award.

James Brown, who is halfway through a year’s MA in Creative and Critical Writing drew on his love for his late grandparents and his affection for the area to write In The Blood and win the Student New Angle Prize (SNAP).

The competition is run in conjunction with the New Angle Prize for Literature and asks for writing which offers a sense of East Anglia, evoking its spirit and identity.

James, who grew up in Stowmarket, was close to his grandparents and wrote his winning piece as a tribute to them.

When I think of the area, I think of family.  I was very close to my grandparents. Their influence and passing affected and shaped me in immeasurable ways.

“It’s a very personal piece that I hope captures the elements that make these kind of relationships transcendent and magical.

“I’ve been humbled at every stage, from being ling listed to winning. The competition was so strong. I know several of the other entrants and all are amazing writers.”

Judging the entries was award winning writer, Zoe Gilbert who is a visiting Fellow for Creative Writing at the University of Suffolk.

She described James’s entry as ‘a seemingly quiet story that packs an emotional punch’.

Praising the standard of entries, Zoe added: “Reading these stories together was a particular pleasure, birds, water and Suffolk sights and voices echoing between them.

“They felt like six siblings each with their own unique view of a shared world and I came away with so many strong images of both town and country, people and landscape, but all imbued with deep feeling.

“I enjoyed them so much that it was a personal agony to have to choose, and I hope that all six will be enjoyed by readers far and wide.”

Amanda Hodgkinson, Senior Lecturer in English and Creative Writing said: “The competition is a great opportunity for all students to embrace their creativity and celebrate our region.

“With professional judges and its affiliation with a major literature prize, the SNAP competition is an example of our belief in a university community, in offering opportunity and in the university as a hub for a Creative Suffolk.”



Support Independent Content.

I don't write for money, and I never accept freebies etc. All products and experiences are paid for by me. If you enjoy my blog posts, and you can afford it, please consider buying me a coffee, or exploring the ads (Sorry there are so many. When I graduate, I will disable them). Currently, I am a student and care worker, so pay ranges from nothing to not a lot! A million thanks! 

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Horrorhiker

 


Comments

Popular Posts