Poetry: Pebbles.

Pebbles.


I pick pebbles off the beach. They feel smooth, and real. Some have faces, some swirls and each tells its ancient tale. I become part of their story. A trip through millenia in my palm, lost forever with a simple throw, back into the sea. 


Someone asked me, 


‘Why do you pick pebbles off the beach?’ 


Why, because each pebble has a friend,’ I said. ‘A person that slides onto the beach like foam, dissipating in the dry and disappearing into the ether. Earth, rock and air, a trinity that forms a fragile thread, which breaks for everyone, when the time comes.’ 


The pebbles run through my fingers like sand.


I would like a pebble of my own, but as hard as I try, I cannot find it.  My mother stood behind me for ages, counting  as I threw one by one into the water. Then it was too late. She had gone. I searched still.  


I like solitude too much. 


So I remain, picking pebbles off the beach. They always come, and want to stay, making all their stories so easy to find, before I throw them back into the sea. 






Support Independent Content.

I don't write for money, and I never accept freebies etc. All products and experiences are paid for by me. If you enjoy my blog posts, and you can afford it, please consider buying me a coffee, or exploring the ads (Sorry there are so many. When I graduate, I will disable them). Currently, I am a student and care worker, so pay ranges from nothing to not a lot! A million thanks! 

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Horrorhiker

Comments

Popular Posts