I'm leaving Ebay and Gumtree. A rant.

Ebay :

If I had a pound for every time I said I was leaving Ebay, I probably wouldn't ever have the need to sell anything on there.
For ages now Ebay has engineered itself around the buyer. The feedback system is incredibly biased  towards them and it has now got to the point that buyers can literally hold the sellers to ransom. You would think that there wouldn't be that many assholes in the world who would take advantage of their fellow 'shop floor' traders, but unfortunately I'm finding that there are a lot. A LOT. Too much faith in human nature I guess.

These people are basically pond life. They know that they can dictate terms, threaten bad feedback, haggle after purchase etc etc, and there is not a thing that the seller can do, or that Ebay want to do.
It's one thing to protect your consumer rights, or even get what you can out of a large company but to hold a gun to the head of just a regular person, trying to sell some stuff to make some money in a tough economy is really pretty low.
I can't be bothered to go into it fully here, but the latest was that basically a guy bought a guitar from me (buy it now), and immediately started making noises about testing it, lived ages away, and was basically being a prat about it.
You know, all the pseudo professional, wordy, false knowledge emails you get from armchair experts wanting to chance their arm.
Huge sense of entitlement, expected me to shoulder all the risk. The sort of self centred smug charmer that we all know one or more of.
He was clearly going to come over, start to haggle (despite committing to the buy it now price), take the guitar 2 hours away and then possibly/likely  find more 'problems' and have Ebay extort more money from me.
Everything was based around him protecting himself, and any suggestion that I wanted to do the same was me being difficult.

 After all that, I explained that I'd rather cancel the sale to to feeling uncomfortable (all in a nice way despite knowing the guy was a chancer).. and got negative feedback. My first in ten years. And I never even sold anything to the guy. How the hell can Ebay allow feedback on transactions that never happened?!?

Gumtree :

Less than two weeks after the above Ebay shizz, I messaged a guy who was selling an amp. I was on the other side of the fence. I said that I might be interested in it at the end of the month (when I get paid), unless he wanted to drop the price.
He declined and said get in contact at the end of the month. All very sharp, one sentence emails. Call me old fashioned, but I like please and thank you still.
Halfway through the month, he messaged to say the amp was still available.
In the meantime Ive now decided to buy a new one.
The other day this guy messages again. Was i still interested? He obviously doesn't get the concept of 'end of the month' as it was like the 24th or something.
I said no, thanks for thinking of me though. I've made alternative plans
Now the guys gives me a load of crap for not letting him know I wasn't interested anymore. Apparently I've broken the musicians code. Oh and he listened to my band....Not his cup of tea....
(This is a shame actually, as when the band started we all decided that out target demographic would be the bitter, old matress and two rusty childrens trikes in the garden, dwelling trolls of Gumtree.)
That episode was the final nail in my Internet buying and selling career. That's me finished.

With all my being, I wanted to argue with these guys, call them what they were, even get revenge but I've decided it's not worth it. Scabrous clueless cretins like this don't have a shred of decency in them so it's pointless.

The best thing to do in life is to separate yourself from negative people wherever you can. Don't let the bring you down their path. Cheesy but true.

Ebay and Gumtree users (especially the sellers):
It's no good just whining on message boards about it being unfair and biased. The only way that Ebay will have to change is to vote with your feet and go elsewhere. Stop selling on Ebay. I know its easy for me to say, especially if its your business.
I always found Gumtree to be better of the two, but I'm giving it all up. I'm well bitter as you can probably tell. It's normal shops for me. Retro, classic and reassuringly expensive with warranties.
And I feel good about it.

Comments

  1. I agree with you about the ebay guy, he sounds totally unreasonable but the gumtree guy.. you said you would buy it at the end of the month. Fair enough if you changed your mind but you should have let him know. I've had the same thing happen to me when selling baby rabbits. It really pisses me off when people go back on what they said. Love the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! I get what you're saying. I did say though that I 'might' be interested, and never said I'd definately have it. I wouldn't have expected him to let me know if he'd sold it for example. Also, it was the huge sense of entitlement and the way he communicated childishly afterwards. That's where I was coming from with that.
    It's basically frustrating these days in general.
    .. Buying and selling. If we have a zombie apocalypse and have to go back to bartering, then we will be totally knackered!
    Cheers for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts